Now I'm really excited!! I got the body drawn on and I am going to try and get it cut out today. The weather here is a little rainy here to day so If the weather will let me I'll see how much I can get done today.
So now it really begins!!
Last Edit: Dec 17, 2012 12:22:44 GMT -6 by Deleted
OK here are some pictures of where it stand today.
I tried to show in the pictures how it evolves from one step to the other. Once the template is on the body I use my router to go around the template one I'm done with that I take off the template and reset the router and finish up the routing.
Last Edit: Dec 17, 2012 12:27:42 GMT -6 by Deleted
What you have done looks great so far! I really like those blue pickup covers but it doesn't entirely fit with the theme!
As far as the pickguard goes, I am a little torn. I always like having a pickguard just for ease because everything is on top but I understand the dilemma with having that preamp but I know it can be done with a top-mount pickguard. It would be really difficult to come up with a strat/les paul pickguard blend! I have no idea how you would like utilize a bracket or anything!
I'm a little torn on it too! I took a pick guard I had from one of my Strats and to me I just don't like it. I always like the clean lines of the body without a guard. As you know most of by guitars don't have them. But with everything going in to this build as far as electronics go, it may just be best to go with the rear cavity and no guard. I really did try and come up with something as far as a guard but nothing I came up with looked all that good. there will be 3 sets of pickups on this and so far, as I can tell at least 4 pots and maybe even some mini switches so there will be a lot on board.
Yes I like the blue on the pickups too. But I don't think they would look all that good on the yellow and orange.
But we are still a ways off from paint. I didn't do anything on it today. I had a lot of honey do things today.
OK, here is what I got done on it today so far. I did the round over (1/2") on both sides and I got the neck pocket routed.
Like I have said before I always try something I haven't done before on every build. So on this one I knew from reading other posts that I would need to put some angle on the neck. So I placed the (or sat) the bridge on the top of the body, after I made a new jig for the neck pocket, then I took the jig and rested one end of it on the bridge and the other part on the body itself where the neck pocket would be. I then put some thin wood under the jig and clamped everything down, making sure everything was straight. I had to cut the pocket 2 times to get it to where it would be deep enough.
I took a ruler after words to check the height form the top of the frets to the top of the saddles in the bridge, everything looks really good. I did take in a count for the bushing thickness for the bridge.
After the neck pocket was done I moved on to the round over. Everything there went really good.
So that's all I get to do to this today. I had to stop because I have to go my granddaughters B-day party. You got keep the family happy... ;D
Last Edit: Dec 17, 2012 12:31:47 GMT -6 by Deleted